A vegan, gluten free 30-minute curry that’s loaded with veggies and swimming in a perfectly-spiced coconut milk broth. Coconut quinoa sends this over the top. Simple, healthy, fast and so delicious.
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (150 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1 Tbsp (6 g) fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
- 1/2 cup (45 g) broccoli florets (or green bell pepper), diced
- 1/2 cup (64 g) diced carrots
- 1/4 cup (45 g) diced tomato
- 1/3 cup (28 g) snow peas (loosely cut)
- 1 Tbsp (8 g) curry powder
- Pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced (optional for heat)
- 2 14-ounce (396 g) cans light coconut milk (sub full fat for richer texture)
- 1 cup (240 ml) veggie stock
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce (396 g) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup (170 g) white quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer*
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) agave nectar (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro, mint and/or basil
- Red pepper flake
- If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
- In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added another pinch or two of salt.
- Serve over coconut quinoa (see other options below in Notes) and garnish with fresh lemon juice and herbs.
*An alternative to coconut quinoa would be plain quinoa, millet, coconut rice, white or brown rice.*Curry slightly adapted from Tyler Florence
*Coconut quinoa adapted from Cookie and Kate
Serving size: 1/4 recipeCalories: 434Fat: 25.8gSaturated fat: 21gCarbohydrates: 41gSugar: 7.2gSodium: 628mgFiber: 6.4gProtein: 10.2g